Monday, March 3, 2014

SOLSC 3/31 Silence

Sometimes when I can't sleep, when the world seems to be so quiet and dark, I stare through my window, into the night sky. With my back pressed against the wall, everything seems to fall away as I watch the flickering street light, blinking at the shadows cast by the occasional car. Like the world, it is times like this when my mind is quietest, when it is the most peaceful. I've come to crave these moments of silence, relishing the surrounding darkness and listening to the leaves as they dance with the slight wind. I sit, arms around my knees looking up at the four high buildings that emerge from the ancient trees only a few blocks away. The buildings indistinguishable from the light sky, exept for a few lights that shine line stars. I like to watch as they go out. One by one. Then when the final light is switched out, a reminder to my far off self that I should be getting to bed, I find myself staring once again at the flickering street light. I remember reading somewhere that the human mind is attracted to movement. Maybe thats why my eyes always shift to the orange glow that bathes the street, without even seeming to. Everything here is just so peaceful, a world I never want to leave but know I must. To me, the silence is riveting, beautiful, mysterious and completely addicting. When I'm here, I never want to leave.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamiebombastic/11279939606/">Jamie Slomski</a>

4 comments:

  1. That was really discripitive, I liked the part about how your "far off self" reminds you to go to sleep. I really liked it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having trouble picking a favorite line because I love all of it. It is beautiful and mysterious. This line I really like: "Then when the final light is switched out, a reminder to my far off self that I should be getting to bed..." It connects both your far away self and the self bound to reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this Slice. I particularly liked the line "Like the world, it is times like this when my mind is quietest, when it is the most peaceful." Even in the relatively short bit of writing, you really created an atmosphere that I could understand. I'm looking forward to reading more of your slices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this slice, very descriptive. I can relate to this post a lot so that makes it much better.

    ReplyDelete