Monday, December 16, 2013

Slice of my Life

I moved through the kitchen, juggeling the ingredients in my arms as I catiouly avoided the dogs. They always seem to be underfoot and in the way, following me around, begging me for food, praying that I drop something. I don't, much to their dismay.

 Even as I place the vanilla, butter, apples, sugar, milk, cinnimon, eggs and baking power on the counter I know that I've forgotten the flour... Crap! I don't even know where to look. Praying, I start at the pantry. Nope not there. The cabinet; empty. The basement... nada. Finally I check the fridge; there in the back is a half filled blue bag of buckwheat flour. Buckwheat flour is similar to regular flour right? There both labeled flour right, anyway I'm all out of options. That was my reasoning as I carried it back to the counter, putting it in the pile with the sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon. Mixing the wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls, I check the recipe once again... slowly pour wet ingredients into the flour mixture, stir and then add apples. The recipe also mentioned that I needed to peel and slice the apples but I'm not that patient. Instead, I just cut out the cores and shove it into the blender. The result: chunky apple sauce. Added to a thick batter, it looks even worse, but it does taste pretty good. 20 minutes in the oven and BAM! A dozen lumpy cupcakes... Now for my favorite part clean up.

4 comments:

  1. The joys of cooking without all the perfect ingredients. I wonder how the muffins tasted? Thanks for sharing this slice. Loved the description of the procedure and thought process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part is "BAM!" The rest is also excellent, very descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how it captures your thought process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how descriptive it was and, although this sounds silly, I was very interested in finding out what you were making.

    ReplyDelete