Monday, April 21, 2014

Leviathan

This weekend, I read Leviathan by Scott Westerfield, and for the record, it was awesome! Told in the perspectives of an exiled heir, and a female pilot in training, this book was an awesome take on world war I. Genetically engineered animals and wicked steam-punk machines are the weapons of choice in the early 1900s. Europe is in war, counties are fighting against each other, the darwinists verses the inventors. Deryn, more commonly known as Dylan is a darwinist, Alek is not only an inventor, but the heir to an empire. When the their paths cross, the two find themselves fighting side by side with their enemy. This book was amazing, I loved how Westerfield described the creatures in his books and how he filled it with such original ideas. The characters were relatable and they all had some really interesting and original perspectives in the story. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys adventures and steampunk, with the recommendation that it would be a one week book. Also... the illustrations were awesome!

6 comments:

  1. That sounds really good! I'll get it from the library ASAP. Scott Westerfeld is one of my favorite authors; he wrote the Uglies series, which was amazing. I can't remember if I already asked you - did you read that series?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was amazing too, in my opinion. Have you read the companion story type thing, called Behemoth? It's really good too., and I think that you might like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a really good book. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That actually doesn't sound terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read that! It was so good! I also love the author. You should try some of his other books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah there is also a third, which group would you choose because some of the machines the clankers had were pretty damn cool but the darwinists had flying whales so...

    ReplyDelete